Thursday, March 29, 2012

No-Bake Energy Bites

This is just a quick post! I'm running around packing and getting everything ready for a trip to South Texas, yay! I can't believe it's already been 10 years since I graduated high school. I'm looking forward to seeing all my friends and visiting the Academy again. Hoping for a fun weekend!


So when you travel with kids, you MUST have snacks. For this trip I packed:


- Individual hummus cups
- cut up veggies
- various rice crackers
- sliced apples
- individual peanut butter cups
- Babybel cheese
- Laughing cow cheese wedges (Levi LOVES these with crackers)
- pretzels
- rice cakes
 - Individual almond vanilla milk
- Individual So Delicious chocolate coconut milk


That's already a pretty good list, but as I was browsing through Pinterest today these little Energy Bites started calling my name. I'm so glad I decided to try them! Levi has eaten 4 already!


So my rating for these? Another 5. DELICIOUS and so good for you. I did make a couple of changes to the recipe, though. First, I ran out of peanut butter and added almond butter. So it's about half and half of each. Second, I reduced to amount of flaxseed meal to 1/4 cup and added 1/4 cup of chia seeds. I also didn't chill the mixture before rolling into balls. It worked fine. Now, when I make this again I think I will cut down the amount of honey. It was a bit sweet for me. If you have a sweet tooth this might be fine. Levi enjoyed it this way :)


This is the recipe I used. Found on Pinterest. 








No-Bake Energy Bites 
(makes 18-20 bites)

1 cup oatmeal
1/2 cup peanut butter (or other nut butter)
1/3 cup honey
1 cup coconut flakes
1/2 cup ground flaxseed
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
1 tsp vanilla

Mix everything above in a medium bowl until thoroughly incorporated.  Let chill in the refrigerator for half an hour.  Once chilled, roll into balls and enjoy!  Store in an airtight container and keep refrigerated for up to 1 week.

Next time I might also change things up a bit and add nuts or dried fruit. It's a very forgiving recipe!

2 comments:

  1. The little one is only eatting a few things so far but i just might make those bars for us big people! looks yummy and i cant believe its been 10 years!! see you Sabbath--Mari

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Big people enjoy them too! See you in a few days :)

      Delete