Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Cheese Crackers!

Finding good gluten free crackers is nearly impossible. They all have a strange texture and even worse flavor. Rice crackers are really good, but sometimes you're just craving a Cheeze-it.

This is the first copycat cheese cracker recipe I've tried, and I'm impressed! VERY easy to make, few ingredients, and fabulous results. David even asked me if I'd put crack in them. He couldn't stop eating them and he's not even gluten free. That's how you know it's good :)



This is the recipe I used.

Cheese Crackers

3/4 C. shredded cheese (I used 1/2 cup cheddar and 1/4 cup Monterrey Jack)
3 Tbs. butter, room temperature
3/4 C. cornstarch
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp xanthan gum
1/2 tsp. baking powder
2 Tbs. milk ( I used whole)
sea salt to taste

- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or lightly grease pan.
- In a bowl, combine cheese, butter, cornstarch, salt, xanthan gum, and baking powder until mixture is crumbly.
- Add in milk and stir until dough forms (I just tossed everything in the food processor and pulsed until combined. I also had to add more milk to form a dough. Maybe an extra Tbs. or so.)
- Sprinkle a small amount of cornstarch on a flat surface. Roll out dough until 1/8-inch thick.
- Cut into squares. Poke each square with a toothpick in the center (I didn't do this)
- Transfer squares to baking sheet. Sprinkle with sea salt.
- Bake for 10 minutes, or until edges are just barely golden.

No comments:

Post a Comment