Thursday, February 16, 2012

Last night's dinner:
Garlic noodles and cucumbers with lemon, basil, and parsley.


The kids also shared a banana split for dessert, but I forgot to take a picture of that. This is the recipe I used for the noodles. It was SOOO good! Both kids gobbled them up; we had no leftovers!

Today's lunch:

cheesy pasta, ants on a log (celery with PB and craisins), blueberries,  broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots (steamed)

If you're wondering, I do usually eat whatever the kids eat. EXCEPT in situations like these when the main dish consists of pasta, cheese, and butter. Yeah, pass. I had a huge salad instead, with baby spinach, butter lettuce, grape tomatoes, artichoke hearts, kalamata olives, garbanzo beans, and feta cheese. Yum. I did eat the vegetables and blueberries, though :)

Interesting story, I had a "friend" accuse me of feeding my kids cancer (aka animal products such as meat, dairy, etc). Yeah, she actually used the word cancer. It was strange. I sort of...stared at her. Waiting for a punch line or something, but nope. Dead serious.

Ok, so how do you respond to that? Thank you? Teach me, oh wise one? I had a million things running through my head, but I just shrugged and told her a vegan diet hadn't worked for me and changed the subject. She was REALLY surprised that I'd been vegan, and even more surprised that I didn't think it was the ultimate way to eat. 

Here's a though, crazy friend: everyone is different. I honestly didn't like being vegan. Not only did I find it incredibly isolating, but I just didn't feel great. I always felt hungry and started grazing more, instead of being able to eat 3 meals a day. I was constantly daydreaming of burgers, scrambled eggs, and grilled salmon. Haha. And quesadillas. Omg. Vegan cheese is just....not the same at all. 

My vegan diet officially came to an end when I found out I was pregnant with Sophie. My morning sickness was awful and I craaaaved meat. After 6 months I said goodbye to being a vegan and haven't looked back since. 

How do I feel now? Amazing. Truly, my body functions much better on a high protein, low carb diet. Gluten free also, of course. I started drinking dairy again (organic skim) and eating eggs (organic, free range) and it made a world of difference to me. My energy levels are up, my head feels clear and I'm much happier. So is my husband! Poor guy SUFFERED through my vegan months. We're all much happier, I assure you. 

Now, am I feeding my kids cancer? I hope not. I try my best to feed my family everything organic. From the meat, to the veggies, to the fruit. The beef we buy is also grass fed, and the chicken free range. It's much more expensive, but that just means we eat less of it. The bulk of our meals consist of vegetables, fruits, and grains. I think, nosy friend, that it's safe to say we eat healthy enough. 

Are we going to get cancer? Who knows. But just so you know, your vegan diet doesn't exempt you either. I just didn't bother to tell you that because, oh, you know. It's none of my business. 

No comments:

Post a Comment